Learn How to Deal With A Lost Or Stolen United States Passport

by erin on June 23, 2011

The key to dealing with lost or stolen passports lies in two things: quick action, and knowing what to do next. That is because your lost or stolen United States passport contains your personal information and therefore you need to have the information secured right away. You must act quickly the moment you realize that you Lost your passport or it was stolen from you.

Department Of State

Once you realize you have Lost your passport, give the US Department of State a call immediately. Alternatively, you could also send them a form that reports the loss of your passport. Calling their office is fast and convenient. However, you might not be able to contact them especially during weekends and federal holidays. So what you need to do then is to send your report by mail.

Form DS-64

When filing a report on the loss or theft of your US passport, you will be required to fill in Form DS-64. Try to fill in as much detail as you can remember regarding the loss of your passport. The details that you provide will help explain what happened, or what might have caused your passport’s loss.

Submit Forms

You will then have to submit your completed DS-64 once you fill it in completely. You can either send it through the mail or submit it to the passport office in person. You will have to present it in person if you are also submitting your form to apply for a new passport.


The DS-11 is the form you’ll use to apply for a new passport. This form requires you to submit it in person. Today, you no longer need to go to the nearest passport office to get this form. Instead, simply download it from the US Department of State’s website. From there, you can fill in the form on your computer or you can print it out first before filling it in by hand.

Identity Theft

Your pasport is invalidated once you report you have Lost it or it was stolen from you. The Department of State does this in order to prevent cases of identity theft. Once again, your passport contains your full name, birth date, address, and other relevant information that criminals could use to perpetrate a crime. Also, keep in mind that once your passport is invalidated, you could no longer request its revalidation. Thus, you will have to apply for a new passport.

Foreign Country

Should your passport be stolen while you’re on a trip to a foreign country, you should act even quicker to have it reported. To do this, you need to contact the nearest US Passport or Embassy. The people there will then do everything to help you have your Lost passport replaced.

Report Information

Once again, you need to be quick when you’ve Lost your passport. You must report it to the authorities as soon as you can, since the information contained in your lost or stolen United States passport may result in the theft of your identity. So the sooner you report your lost or stolen us passport, the sooner it will be invalidated and rendered useless.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: