Things To Remember When Obtaining A Child American Passport

by garrett on February 16, 2012

Anyone planning on taking a trip with their children needs to remember that anyone leaving the country under the age of sixteen is required to have a valid child US passport. It is important to make sure all of your party has their own passport or else you could face major challenges in leaving the country when you need to. For any passport needs, citizens are encouraged to go online where they can find all the services they will need. This will ensure everyone who needs one will have their passport in time for their trip. Also, passport issues such as a US passport name change should be addressed before travel.

Evidence Of Citizenship

Even newborn infants are required to have a valid passport for international travel. The documentation you can present to get a passport can vary, but a valid birth certificate is the most common for children. You must present the original copy of the birth certificate, however, because it has unique designs on it to show its legitimacy that a copy would not have.

Parental Guidance

Also, if you are trying to obtain a passport for your child you will need to fill out a parental consent form is your child is under 16. You also must remember that when applying for this passport your child must be present with both parents. Unfortunately, there is no passport renewal service offered for minors and if even if they have an expired passport they will need to reapply for a new one. Unlike with adults, there are many boring steps you must take to obtain a passport for a minor.

New Regulations

Attaining a passport for your child is more demanding and time consuming than ever before. Over recent years, new requirements and restrictions have been placed on child passports in an effort to combat the abduction and trafficking of children around the world. Although this is clearly a noble objective, it does nothing to make getting a passport for your child any easier. It is important to remember if you need to get a passport for your child to start the process well before you plan on taking an overseas trip.

Passport Fees

When your child submits their application for a passport they need to also provide a 2×2′ photo that was recently taken within the last six months. Also, you will be required to pay all child passport fees associated with the passport application. There is also an application fee and an execution fee on top of this. The first fees go directly to the Department of State while the latter fees go to the passport agency you are using. Getting a US passport name change is easy.

Generally speaking, applications submitted take about six weeks to fully process. That is, of course, unless you have requested expedited service. In that case you should have your child pasport in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks. For even faster service, if your need to travel quickly, you should consider visiting a US passport agency or express passport service online. This is a more expensive way to get a passport, but it is surely the fastest as you will not have to physically wait in line anywhere. Also, passport issues such as a pass port name change should be addressed before travel.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: