What You Will Need To Get A US Passport Application

by erin on February 14, 2011

What you will need to get a US Passport Application processed requires some work on your part. A few identifying items have to be supplied along with the form to apply. The first time you apply, it will be in person. Any time you leave the United States or its territories, it is a good idea to have a passport.

The application has to be presented at a government building that is picked by the Bureau of Consular Affairs. Generally, these will be in convenient places like post offices, libraries, or courthouses. The locations are subjected to change so a quick search online can provide you with up to date information. You can also get the address, hours of operation and can find out if you need an appointment.

The parents of minor children both need to be present for their children to get a passport. A child, who is of age to drive but not a legal adult, will need their driver’s license as an ID. If they do not have a license, the parents will have to supply a photograph as identification.

The agency allows five kinds of documents to serve as primary ID. Naturalized citizens can present the certificate of naturalization. A driver’s license that is current is acceptable and a military or government employee ID is valid. If you don’t have any of these, you will have show several forms of ID to prove you are who you say you are.

The application form is available from the Department of State. The DS-11 is also available online. The form can be printed and filled out or you can type the information on the form online and then print the form. Just a note of caution, do not sign this document until you are told to do so by an agency employee. Your signature must be witnessed by the clerk.

If you have an old U. S. Passport that is in decent condition, it can be submitted for proof of citizenship. Alternatively, you will have to show a certified birth certificate from the state in which you were born. If you don’t have one, you can request one from your birth state. It must be dated no more than a year past your birth date and be signed and stamped by the registrar.

The IDs that you show the clerk will have to have a copy to submit with the DS-11. Scan the pieces and print out on the usual eight and half inch by eleven-inch white paper. Do not put anything else on the sheet. The images can be larger than the original but do not make it smaller. The copy is only to be on one side of the paper. You can submit more than one page if needed.

The payment of fees will be expected when you apply. Accepted payments can come from credit or debit cards, personal or bank checks or money orders or exact cash. These will vary by office, as will how the fees are charged. The two fees may need to be paid for separately. Call the agency before your appointment to understand their policies.

Photos to be used on the passport have to be submitted when you apply. These will need to be in color, less than 6 months old and look like you do when you get to the agency. You will need two identical photos that are two inches by two inches in dimension.

The items you need to make sure you can easily get through a US Passport Application process may take some time. Plan in advance and have everything in hand. If you have any questions, call the agency or find the information online. It will take about a month to a month and a half to get the document but express services are available even for passport renewals.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: