How To Yield The Headaches Of Having A Damaged U.S. Passport

by erin on June 10, 2011

If you have scheduled a trip overseas and you have a damaged U.S. passport, you definitely want to take care of it before leaving the US. First of all, you may not even be able to depart if your passport is mutilated and second, you do not want to take the chance of being on foreign soil without proper identification of your nationality. Before you set out to your passport agency, there are a number of documents you can prepare ahead of time to make your trip run smoothly.

Available Online

The DS-11 form that you have to fill out is available online at the State Department’s website. You can go onto their site and complete the form and once it is complete you can print it out with all of your information intact.

Form DS-11

You are not authorized to sign the DS-11 form until you are in the presence of an official agent. You will have to sign this form at the nearest regional pass port agency or in the presence of an Acceptance Agent. If you sign it without a certified witness your form is void and will not be acceptable.

Official Document

The DS-64 is another official document that has to be filled out. This is an official statement to verify why and how your passport became damaged. You will have to provide detailed information as to what caused your passport’s damage.

Citizenship Proof

Also make sure to prepare evidence of U. S. Citizenship. You can do so by providing a U. S. birth certificate or a certificate of naturalization or citizenship from the USCIS. You will need two color photos that are in a 2 inch x 2 inch format with a clear, white background. This photo should not have been taken more than six months ago.

Require Replacement

If you require replacement of your damaged passport quickly, such as in less than two weeks, you have to show evidence that you are traveling within this time frame as well. You will have to provide an itinerary of travel. In addition to this paperwork, you will be charged a number of fees, depending on your situation. There is one fee you can depend on and that is the $135.00 State Department processing charge. You can pay your fees with a check or money order made out to the Department of State. If you are filing in person at a passport agency you will have the opportunity to pay with a credit card.

Valid Document

If you have damaged your passport while outside of the United States, you will have to visit the U. S. Embassy or Consulate in the country you are in. You will still have to provide the DS-11 and DS-62 forms (although some questions may not be applicable in your situation), as well as other documents validating identity.

Two Standard

Other passport documentation you will have to provide is verification of US nationality, two standard new passport photos, current ID, social security number; and your damaged passport has to be present so it can be taken in turn for a replacement. In order to safeguard yourself from accidents make sure you copy all of your paperwork that you submit.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: