It’s Good To Know Where To Re New Your Expired Passport

by garrett on October 10, 2011

If you do a lot of international travel, you might want to stay informed about where to re new your expired passport. Local agencies can provide the information you’re looking for, or you can check the Internet for details. Anyone who has a lifestyle that includes traveling through different countries can always be prepared for the next trip.

Where To Renew

The expiration date is easily found in the booklet and if you stay aware of that date, you’ll be ready when it’s time to renew. Renewals can be done by mail or in person and it’s also possible to apply online. Those who prefer mailing will need a form DS-82, which is easy to find online or at a local agency. Use black ink to print it and fill it out.

By Mail

Submitting the application through the mail means you’ll have to send the form along with your old, undamaged passport. It has to have been issued within 15 years and you must have been 16 or older when it was issued. You’ll also need two photos, preferably from a photographer who knows the requirements.

Form DS-11

Some prefer to renew in person and in that case the form needed is a DS-11. That form is available at a local agency or online. The requirements will be the same as those for mailing the application but if you’re there in person because you’ve lost your passport, there are additional requirements. You’ll need proof of citizenship, which can be in the form of a certificate of birth or naturalization or a government issued I. D. Bring those original documents along with a copy of them, front and back.

Online Application

If the need for a renewal is urgent, the online application is an excellent option. The forms are on the Net but you’ll still need to provide all of the required documents as well. The documents will be the same as those needed for mailing or in person; a current passport or proof of citizenship, photos and the application. Online, you’ll also need to provide an intent to travel.

Expedited Renewal

The usual reason that people choose an online renewal, which is more expensive, is because they have an urgent need to travel. Turnaround time can be twenty-four hours, next day or expedited. Regular processing might take as long as two months, which requires prior planning, but online processing is a nice option to have available.


Adult renewal costs $135, and it is less expensive for children. If you also want a card, which is wallet-sized and laminated, there is an additional fee. The card by itself costs $30. Online renewal is more expensive because the process moves much more quickly.

When it’s time to travel outside the country, it’s time to make sure you know where to re new your expired passport. It can be difficult to set aside the excitement of international travel to take care of paperwork. However, if you’re prepared, you’re ready to travel for work or for vacation at any time. Learn the details now and be ready for that wonderful trip whenever it’s time to go!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: